Es Castell is hugged by Calesfonts and Cala Corb, where traditional fishing and bar and restaurant leisure come together. The village has the privilege of being located at the marina entrance of Mahón. Its seafront façade is an unbeatable lookout to the sea where the visitor can enjoy the first break of sunrise in Spain.
Walking around this village serves as a continuous remembrance of its British origins. The village was founded in 1771 during English rule, and was named George Town in honour of King George III of Great Britain.
With the Spanish repossession of the island in 1782, the villa changed its name to Villa Carlos, honouring King Charles III of Spain. Nowadays its traditional name has been recovered–the one it has always been known for in Menorca: Es Castell. Its name is in tribute to the village’s origin in the vicinity of the Castle of San Felipe.